Cherries are best referred to as a delicious filling in pies or as a final touch on cakes and ice creams, but these fruits also are great when eaten fresh by themselves. In general, any type of fruit is delicious and used as a healthy snack for humans. Many foods are safe for our puppies to eat others can cause anything from an upset stomach to fatal poisoning. 

Can Dogs Eat Cherries Too? 

Unfortunately, cherries are among those foods that aren’t safe for our dogs to get. It’s complicated than just saying yes or no. When it comes to cherries, stems, leaves, and pits are dangerous for dogs. If you give them the pulp, only then; Cherries are safe to eat. These parts of the cherry contain a low level of cyanide which is dangerous for dogs. 

The main danger of cherry is cyanide which is poisonous and potentially lethal if consumed in high quantity. Besides that, cherry pits can also get lodged in a dog’s digestive tract and cause intestinal blockages. In other words, a dog can eat cherries in small quantities. But since these are very small-sized fruits, it may be time-consuming and very complicated to prepare for your dogs. 

Here are some reasons why they can’t have cherries:- 

The red flesh of cherry is rich in antioxidants. It has various nutritional and health benefits to give. Rich in fiber for good digestion, Vitamin C for immunity, and Vitamin A for eye health. The flesh is safe for dogs. 

Intestinal Obstruction:

Cherrystones and stems that gather in the stomach or invade inside the intestines could get stuck. It becomes a far-off obstruction, which needs surgery.

Cyanide Poisoning:

Cherrystones, stems, and leaves contain a tiny amount of amygdalin, which is then converted into cyanide when intake. While our bodies can balance the low concentration of cyanide, our puppies cannot.

Broken Tooth:-

Cherrystones are strong, and if your dog eats the entire fruit, he may bite cherrystone and break a tooth. You must extract your dog’s tooth if the fracture reaches the gums. Otherwise, he’ll be in danger of infection and even disease of the jawbone.

Gastrointestinal Upset:-

Some cherry fruits may contain a moldy stone even if harvested freshly. While some sorts of mold are harmless, others can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs.

What If My Dog Ate a Cherry? 

The quantity required to produce cyanide toxicity often depends on the size of your dog and whether or not your dog chewed the stones. Dogs must either chew the seed or ingest broken stones to release amygdalin or the cyanogenic glucoside.

Puppies and small breeds such as Pomeranians and Chihuahuas are at a greater risk because their Gastrointestinal tracts are much smaller. Intestinal obstruction and cyanide poisoning can happen at any time for these dogs. So, keep an eye out for the following signs if you’ve seen your dog has eaten multiple cherries.


  • Rapid or labored breathing
  • Bright red gums
  • Dilated pupils
  • Increased salivation
  • Convulsion

While it requires large quantities of cherrystones or stems for signs of concern, it is wise to call your veterinarian.